Thank you for chairing at the 94th Annual Greater Edmonton Teachers‘ Convention, February 27 and 28, 2020. We value your support! Below is a list of responsibilities before and during and after convention.
If you or your speakers have any concerns or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact your speaker prior to the event. Session description and contact information can be accessed at www.getca.com Sign in, click on “Chair Booked Sessions” and sessions you are chairing will be listed. Click on the speaker’s name and their contact info will open in a window. Should one not be available on the site, please get a bio or introduction when you contact your speaker. ***Chairperson and speaker name tags will be picked up at the info booth where the speaker is presenting. If the speaker is presenting multiple sessions, their name tag will be at the first venue where they are presenting.
- You are responsible to pick up name tags for yourself and your speaker. Arrange a meeting place with your speaker, show them to their session, and provide any assistance that may be needed.
- Please introduce and thank your speaker at the end of the session. Encourage participants to complete the evaluation on their smartphones, or on GETCA website – click the online schedule (not pdf), find the sessions you want to rate, and click ‘rate this session’ (in the same box as the session information).
- All speakers are to be directed to the location of the Treasury booth located at the Edmonton Convention Centre (formerly Shaw) at the bottom of the escalators, next to the coat check to pick up their cheques (unless they are booked through their agency).
- We request that chairpersons submit the number of attendees and their observations form as soon as possible following a session to help facilitate and verify session information for GETCA. Please visit the Information Booth at the Shaw to submit this information and receive your gift card. People chairing at Archbishop O'Leary High School can leave their evaluation forms at the Convention information table, but will have to pick up their gift card on Thursday or Friday at the Edmonton Convention Centre.
- Lunch is provided for speakers and chairpersons from 11:30 – 1:30 pm in the Riverview Room at the Edmonton Convention Centre (pedway level across the main hallway from Hall D). Please ensure your speaker is aware. Lunch will be provided for speakers and chairpeople at Archbishop O'Leary High School.
- If you are unable to chair your session please notify vpprograms and find a colleague to chair in your absence, as withdrawing your name from the website does not ensure enough time to find a replacement.
- Join us in the Crowne Plaza Hospitality Suite (20th floor of Westin Hotel) on Wednesday or Thursday evening. Drop in from 6 - 11 pm for complimentary beverages and snacks. Our thank-you, to you! (Just ask the front desk to key the elevator for you).
- Become familiar with all info on the website www.getca.com
- Contact your speaker at least two weeks before convention and introduce yourself. (Contact info is on the site)
- Remind speakers that they will need their Social Insurance Number or GST number to collect their honorarium.
- Arrange a meeting place with your speaker(s) (e.g. Lobby of the Westin, Information Desk at the Edmonton Convention Centre)
- Be sure your speaker is aware of the complimentary lunch in the Riverview Room at the Edmonton Convention Centre or at Archbishop O'Leary High School.
- Come to info desk at the location your speaker is presenting to pick up name tags and evaluation forms
- Meet your speaker, give them their name tag and escort them to the room they are speaking in.
- Check to make sure your speaker has everything he/she needs.
- Introduce your speaker.
- Encourage delegates to evaluate the session.
- Thank your speaker.
- Should you wish to recognize reconciliation when opening your session, please feel free to do so. The following is a sample, but you are not required to use this or another acknowledgement:
We acknowledge that we are on Treaty 6 territory, a traditional meeting grounds, gathering place, and travelling route to the Cree, Saulteaux, Blackfoot, Metis, Dene and Nakota Sioux.
We acknowledge all the many First Nations, Metis, and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for centuries.
After your session:
- Escort speaker(unless they are booked through an agency) to the office (beside Info. Desk at the Edmonton Convention Centre) to collect their honourarium.
- Collect your Starbucks card from the Edmonton Convention Centre info desk after submitting your evaluation.